Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Good deal in Philadelphia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member A7fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2006
    Location
    Pacifc Northwest
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Good deal in Philadelphia

    One working the other needs work








    (2) Altec 299-16A Large Format HF drivers $120/pair

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    Good deal in Philadelphia


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Good deal in Philadelphia

    Those are the ones that gearfreak just bought in this thread here.

    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/177315-299-manta-cheap-philly-cl.html

    884d1318372131 299 manta cheap philly cl 2011 10 11 altec 299 16a 000
    October 11th, 2011 06:28 PM 2011_10_11_Altec_299_16A_000.jpg
    Last edited by Altec Best; October 21st, 2011 at 01:26 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Good deal in Philadelphia

    That one is rough, for sure. Would it need to be taken apart to clean the gap?

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    Good deal in Philadelphia


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Good deal in Philadelphia

    I feel bad for Gearfreak,but darn I almost bought them for you.Boy would I have been red in the face. But he got them cheaper than the asking.After GPA's cleaning new Frams you could of still had a nice pair of 299 drivers for $350 that's not too bad IMO.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Good deal in Philadelphia

    Yup, mine!

    Some 288-8k's may go up soon as well. One has shifted magnet or pole piece (?) from a tumble. Pinched the phragm, but seems to have come out ok. May test in the good 299 if they are around for a bit.

    :-( I am not having much luck with the large formats these days!

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    Good deal in Philadelphia


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Good deal in Philadelphia

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    :-( I am not having much luck with the large formats these days!
    That's the chance we all take with buying the vintage gear today, unfortunately ! That's why I like to bring my tools and do a good inspection before purchase if possible.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Good deal in Philadelphia

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    That's the chance we all take with buying the vintage gear today, unfortunately ! That's why I like to bring my tools and do a good inspection before purchase if possible.
    Yup, of course. We knew about the 299 phagm, just not the water damage. Next time, we'll pull the covers (not something I like to get into, in someone's foyer. but...). The 288 damage, well that was just insufficient restraint on my part. My makeshift levelling shims didn't stand up to some external force. I'd blame the cat, but we don't have any specifcic evidence.

    Good for him on that account.

  8. #8
    HB Super Moderator
    Good deal in Philadelphia


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Good deal in Philadelphia

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    (not something I like to get into, in someone's foyer. but...). .
    Yeah I understand that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.